Important Dog Obedience Commands
How to Teach the Down Command
Down can be one of the more difficult dog obedience commands for your
small dog since you’re asking him to get in a pretty vulnerable
position. But the Coton de Tulear is pretty smart and if you follow the
tips below, your dog should pick up this trick quickly.
Why does your dog need to learn the down command?
- First of all, it's a great way to show your dog that you are the leader, since the down position is a submissive one.
great for instances when you need your dog to be absolutely still and
easy to control. For instance, if you're in a public place like a
restaurant or store. This is a good command for times when your dog
needs to be still for longer periods of time, since he will be more
comfortable lying down than sitting down.
- You have more control of your dog when he's in the down position so it's a good command for when small children are present.
How to Teach the Down Command:
- From the stand or sit position (try which works best for you),
hold a treat down between your dog’s toes so he’ll have to lie down to
get the treat.
- When he’s in the down position say “Good down” and reward him with the treat.
- If your dog just doesn’t respond to this, use the leash to help gently guide his body to a down position. NEVER push a small dog into a down position.
- BE PATIENT AND CONSISTENT WITH YOUR SMALL DOG TRAINING.
More of our Favorite Dog Training Links:
Loose Leash Training
Beyond Basic Dog Training
Agility training for dogs
Return to Small Dog Training
Copyright© 2008- All Rights Reserved