Spay and Neuter Information
Be informed & help your dog
Live a happier and healthier life
Spay and neuter Information: Who, What, When , Where and Why:
Who: All companion dogs like the Coton de Tulear should be spayed or neutered
What: What exactly is spaying and neutering?
- Spaying: Surgical removal of ovaries, uterus, and fallopian tubes
in order to prevent reproduction in female dogs and cats.
- Neutering: Surgical removal of testes (castration) in order to prevent reproduction in male dogs and cats.
When: Before sexual maturity (between 6 and 9 months)
Where: Almost every community has a low cost spay and
neuter option available. You can have the procedure done at your
veterinarian’s office or ask your vet for a list of the low cost clinics
in your area. You can also check out this ASPCA Search Tool to find a low cost spay or neuter clinic in your area.
There are many benefits for having your pets spayed or neutered - See the below list:
Spay and neuter benefits:
- Prevents unwanted pregnancies, helping to reduce the pet
overpopulation problem (the Humane Society estimates between 6 and 8
million homeless animals entering shelters each year).
- Helps reduce the number of dogs (millions) that have to be euthanized each year because of the pet overpopulation problem.
- Improves the temperaments of your pets
- Your pets will have better manners
- Better health – on average, altered dogs live longer and healthier lives
- Eliminates breast cancer and uterine problems in female dogs
- Eliminates testicular cancer in male dogs
- Reduces the fighting and roaming impulse in male dogs
- Spaying a female dog eliminates their heat cycle and the associated annoying behaviors
Return to New Puppy Care
Home | Sitemap | About Me | Contact Me
Copyright© 2008- All Rights Reserved