Adopting brother and sister Cotons
I am about to adopt two Cotons, brother & sister from the same litter, both spotted from all white parents, female beige & white, male black & white!
I am well aware that as a first time owner I am better off adopting one at a time. trouble is my husband & I are both professionally active with no children at home. As such we would like our babies to grow together & be company for each other when we're out or traveling. We pledge to focus on educating them firmly & with love & dedication. We will prepare a pleasant outdoor/indoor living area for them, close to where we spend most of our time at home.
They are now 3 weeks old & will be coming home in another 6 weeks. I cant wait!
Your kind advice & comments are welcome!
Should I add a Coton de Tulear to my family?
I have two Cavachons (mom is a bishon dad is the cavalier) & I was asked last night if I would be interested in adopting a pure bred female coton de tulear.
I'd never heard of the breed until last night - The dog is a 2 year old female she is very small 6-8lbs. She has had one litter of puppies & they all died - It was decided by the breeder that has her that she would be better as a house dog as opposed to a breeding dog.
The two dogs I have now are 2 years old & almost a year old - They are very friendly, loving dogs - I'm unsure of adopting a dog that is 2 years old & of having 3 dogs - We were raised with dogs & I am a dog lover - Any advice you can give me would be very much appreciate - Thank you so much - I look forward to hearing from you!
Should I get a 2nd Coton de Tulear?
I have a female Coton de Tulear that is 16 months old. My husband and I both work pretty long hours outside the home. We have 3 cats and a pet sitter comes in a few times a week, but I don't think it's enough company for her. My one youngest cat plays with her but cats also sleep so much.
Our breeder is having more pups this month, but already has 4 deposits so I may not be able to get one. Plus if the mother does have 5 pups, I would get last pick. She is breeding again on the fall and pups should be ready to go a year from now, next Jan. I could gave 1st pick then and maybe bring Jazzy to pick one out (although the breeder is a 5 hr drive from me).
Would a dog friend be better for her than cat friends? Should I try to get one now if there is one available or wait a year? I am conflicted because I think she could use the company now but do not really want them getting old and sick at the sane time, but the longer I wait she may get too used to being the only dog in the house.
I have 2 cats that are 13 and one is quite sick and the other is fine, so maybe I shouldn't worry about that.
Also, age old question: would it be better, as a general rule, to get a male ? She is a little bossy :). Or just bring her to the breeder and see who she bonds with?? Sorry for so many questions!
Considering adding a 2nd Coton to the family
We have a precious 2yr old female and are considering adding another Coton to our family but have some questions we need help with before making the move.
Is it better to get another female or get a male ? Can anyone who has added another pup after a year or two give us some advice and share any problems they had to deal with after the addition of a new pup ?
Should I get another Coton de Tulear?
Here is my problem. I have a wonderful (Don't we all) Coton de Tulear. Her name is Billie and the love of my life. We are so close that she goes everywhere with me. I am a bird breeder so I looked all over for a breed that would not eat my birds if they got loose. She is perfect and she also goes to bird shows with me.
I am thinking of getting another one but she and I are so close that I do not know how she would react to another dog every day in our home. I was wondering if doing a foster might me the way to go for us. Since I am retired, her hatred of being put in a kennel has lessened. She seems to understand that I am going to come back to her always.
What do you guys think about this? She was two years old in November and we have not had a night separated. How do you think she would react to another dog?
She is fine when other dogs come to visit and seems to take it in stride, but of course she still has my undivided attention. I want another coton because she is so wonderful that I think I would like to share her with another of her species and give her a playmate that is more her size. Right now she has my undivided attention and love and I do not want to change that but just want to add to the love and attention we both have.
Not sure if a foster would do the job for us or not but want some opinions.
Advise on adding a second Coton to the family
by Sydney's Mom
I have a fixed female Coton, Sydney, that is turning 3 in September. I am considering adding a 2nd Coton to the family and am going to visit a 3 month old boy Coton. Sydney is very attached to me and shows a lot of jealousy when other dogs we meet while walking come around to say hi. She also guards her food. Can anyone offer suggestions about how to address these issues and ensure an easy integration. Any advise or stories about getting 2nd Coton would be really appreciated.
A friend for our coton de tulear?
by Catherine McKendrick
We have had our coton de tulear for almost 4 years now since she was a puppy. We are a big family of 7 but she is very attached to my mum in particular and gets awfully upset when she isn't with her. We were wondering if bringing another dog into the family would be a good idea so that our coton, Brodie, doesn't get so upset and lonely when there isn't a human around to keep her company.
Should we get another coton de tulear or is there a different breed of dog that cotons get on well with? Any help or similar experiences would be appreciated :)
should my cotton have a companion pup
by Marcy Nangle
Daisy is 3.5 years old and I have the opportunity to buy a pup coton that is a half neice(is there really such a thing) of hers. Even though we are home with her most of the time, I feel she wants to play more than we have time. We walk her almost everyday for about 30 minutes and throw toys type playing. I wonder if we got another cotton, would they play a lot, ignore one another most of the time, would she be jealous and hurt by the attention the other cotton gets. Hate to make the decision and regret. Any comments would be welcome. thanks Marcy
Copyright© 2008- All Rights Reserved